Well relatively major. N97 and N97 mini maybe receiving integrated Yahoo! powered Ovi Chat as part of the PR3 and PR2 update.
Hurray, they have not been totally forgotten! Though with the big brother, some (like the team working on it!) might have prefered it to be a distant memory. I’d also like to see some major performance updates. I don’t know how much UI could be improved given the anorexic internals – it struggles as it is with it’s dry, bland navigation.
Qt integration as mentioned?
When I first looked at the video, I wasn’t actually sure it was meant to be a phone app due to the mass of detail on screen but it is. And it’s for you, S60 5th Edition users.
This is a drum machine – essentially what you’re doing is arranging a pattern of beats/instruments to make a song i.e. pattern based music sequencer, like FL Studio, but just for drums.
It’s surprisingly VERY feature packed,
- create your pattern,
- arrange them into a song time line
- very helpful zoom buttons
- Can pan left and right (to make long songs)
- Pattern play preview
- Song play preview
- Extensive Mix and Tools View
- Help section in
Check out the video below and if you’re interested, you can get it from the Ovi Store
For Nokia 5800 and 5530 users here’s a custom firmware that brings Symbian^3/N8 styling and a few additional extras.
- Symbian^3 style dialler,
- Widget homescreen
- Lots of animation/UI transitions – e.g. portrait/landscape v smooth, moving back/forward in menu looks v. nice.
- Quite speedy (at most places, bit lag in others)
- File manager shows hidden files/folders
- Music Player showing lyrics of song playing in a scrolling karaoke style (by default, though you could get tune wiki)
Video is very blurry but you can still get the gist of what’s happening:
At the start of the month, we heard about a new app in Beta Labs called SoundTrckr – an internet radio streaming app with access to over 8million fully licensed songs.
Nokia Beta Labs have released some new updates including:
- Extended compatibility to S60 5th edition devices running on Java 2.1 beta available on Nokia Beta Labs
- Enabled persistent connection with Twitter (Users do not need to log-in on twitter each time they exit and re-enter the app)
- Enabled user profile photo upload from locally stored photos
- Added exit button on settings page
- Bug fixes for stability and performance
Thanks Adnan who found this on eBay (via Symbian Tweet and Smartphone Arena)- here we can see what is supposedly a Nokia Prototype found on eBay. It sports a slide out keypad like the N95 family (N85, N86, N96) and bears a Carl Zeiss 12MP camera with Xenon Flash.
There’s also a kickstand like the N86. The eBay page names this as the N87 (rumoured a while ago as the 12mp xenon snapper – which we thought turned out to be the Nokia N8). N00 is quite normal for proto.
Is this an early prototype that’s been resigned to before even hitting the shelves or possibly something coming soon? It’s like finding a secret member of the family after all these years. The design on the face doesn’t look very contemporary. No one does sticky out buttons any more. Certainly not a splattering of them. A China clone perhaps? But no clone has ever replicated xenon. A remnant of a cancelled Nseries. Certainly would have been enticed by this more so than N96/N86.
The front sports a Read more…
Video and screenshots: Trill on the Nokia N8 – Excellent Twitter App for S60 and Symbian^3 – Available for FREE at Ovi Store
Twitter user? Yes? Then here’s another great alternative to the almighty Gravity. This folks is “Trill”. It’s FREE at the Ovi Store and offers quite a lot of functionality and looks great too. (yup FREE. Load on as many handsets as you like at no charge)
- Fast start up. Loads all previous tweets.
- Very fast at fetching tweets, even on slow connection. 3G not needed (as was the case with Tweetgo.net being entirely browser based)
- Swipe left/right to navigate between timeline, replies, DMs etc
- Big finger friendly buttons when tapping tweets
- Search within app
- Tag links/search
- Cute little bird animations during search load (and initial twitter connection)
- Profile viewer
- Trending topics viewer
It’s available to download for FREE for S60 and Symbian^3 from the Ovi Store.
Click to see demo video and features/screenshots not seen in the video
Air Hockey. You versus the phone as you try and score a goal with the virtual air lifted puck. First to 5 wins and each round goes to a higher level with slightly harder opponents.
It’s really enjoyable (I love Air Hockey at arcades!) and great for those short distractions. It’s well worth a download.
The only things I’d like to see is the option for 2 player mode with multitouch support of course (though that would rule out S60 5th users).
Oh it’s meant to be played in portrait but was recorded in landscape.
You’ve got two price points with Air Hockey. An Advert-supported FREE game or £3.00 (variable by country) ad-free.
Above was the ad-supported version and you’ll note the presence of adverts (which you can skip or click to open an advert page). You’ll also need to have an internet connection. You don’t have to view the ads, just press skip.
DOWNLOAD FROM THE OVI STORE:
BTW for comparison here’s a paid version demoed on 5530 by TheBossAkib.
Note that you get cheers or awws depending on scoring or letting a goal in. It also looks a little faster here but part of that was due to my bad cam and video conversion (E.G. look at the image trail of my finger)