Maps Update (3.06) via Nokia Beta Labs
The latest update from the people over at Nokia Beta Labs is a new version of Ovi Maps with some exciting new features including pinch to zoom like we had seen in one of those N8 demo’s before the phone came out, and improved maps. A full list is below and it’s some exciting stuff, don’t forget you don’t pay a penny for all this so enjoy.
Note: This is still in beta so don’t expect it to be perfect, it may have a couple of bugs, but if you find one, help the people over at beta labs and let them know so they can be resolved!
More info and download: http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/ovi-maps-306
What’s different from the previous release (v3.04)?
We have made a few major improvements to Ovi Maps in this release. These include:
- New! Download street maps directly to your device! A new feature called “Update” on the main menu which allows you download Street Maps directly (via WiFi) to your phone without a PC!
- New! My Position and Search are now integrated (now called Map). When accessed, it will show your last map view
- New! Back button in Favourites
- New! Long tap functionality to delete & rename collections & routes
- New! Pop up for first time use – to inform user to download new map data (when upgrading 3.04 > 3.06 for the first time)
- New! Improved behaviours of transit lines settings in map toolbox (no more grey out)
- New! Compasscalibration hint
- New! Refreshed place details information view
- Pinch to zoom interaction (Only available on Symbian^3 devices)
- Visually refreshed main menu and icons,
- New maps with public transport lines (as a new map layer) for subways, trams and trains in 80+ cities around the world. Just click the map toolbox icon and select Transit lines,
- Improved search experience – find places and addresses around you – or anywhere in the world – fast and easily. Browse places or enter a keyword in the search box. Now with suggestions and “did you mean?” functionality,
- New place pages with description, reviews, pictures and places nearby. Interact with places in a whole new way – you can check in, contact, navigate, save, rate, share, report or see place on the map,
- Share a place – send a place to your friends via SMS or Email. The SMS contains the address and a link to the place page with description, ratings, contact, URL and a mini map. The link opens up on the mobile browser (also on non-Nokia devices),
- Check in – keep your friends up-to-date with where you are and what you’re up to. Check in to places and share it with your friends on Facebook and many more social networks. See places you’ve been to in your check in history,
- New Drive assistance mode with live traffic flow – after clicking Drive, you’re instantly in drive assistance mode with live traffic flow and more. Once you start moving, get safety camera alerts and speed limit warnings,
- More folder with many rich content services relevant to your location. Personalise your Ovi Maps by selecting the services you’d like to keep on your main menu for instant access.
- Traffic flow: In Drive mode, a number of improvements to the traffic flow colour scheme and layout.