Video: Symbian^3 Draggable Homescreen, Portrait QWERTY keyboard and New Browser on the Nokia N8
This comes by way of Alex68
- Note the homescreen which you can now drag at will. No need to wait for a swipe motion and then see the swipe happen. This was NOT a lag, but actually designed into the N8. Glad to see the back of that.
- Next we’ll see the “new” T9 whereby it does not take you to a new text box. You can kind of see what this would be like when you use the search widget as that already partially displays the screen text of the app AND the keyboard.
- Going into options you’ll see “QWERTY Keyboard”.
- Note the Scandanavian layout with those extra letters (which make the keyboard look cramped). I suspect the English one will look slightly more roomy. I don’t know if it will be redesigned or if we’ll keep this straight aligned keyboard. It’s a touch annoying when we see so many better examples. KEYBOARD input is absolutely important and should NEVER have been an afterthought.
- Next a brief look at the browser. As mentioned before the new look has a persistent back button, a web address/search bar at the top
- This browser has a lot to live up to if it should meet Nokia’s claims of being as good as any mobile browser – Not sure what parameters but I hope rendering wise anyway. This was said back at Nokia World. As good as MicroB – big shoes to fill.
As noted before by Alex: It is a still very much evolving and developing product, any arguments about performance and interface might not be fair for the time being.
I don’t know about you but I’m just looking forward to this – which by the inclusion of portrait QWERTY means should work soon.